Monday 30 May 2016

Journal Entry 7 - I'm Struggling

May 30th, 2016

It has been about a week since my last post. I suppose that means it is time for me to write again. How are things going for me? Well to be entirely honest, I am continuing to struggle. It's quite disheartening really. I have made so much progress since leaving the hospital and now it feels like it is all slipping away. However, I am trying not to put too much thought into that; if I don't believe I am moving forward, it will be impossible for me to do so.

When I am struggling I usually do one of two things: lay in bed and avoid the world or keep quite busy. I have currently been doing the latter. Mostly to try to convince myself and others that I am doing just fine. I figure that, if I post a bunch of photos of me hanging out with people and doing fun things, everyone will think my life is going great. It's also a distraction for me, and quite often, an avoidance technique. For example, tonight when I was leaving soccer, my friend's team arrived to play their game. I decided to watch her game. Of course watching her game interests me, but my real motivation was avoiding doing my therapy homework (funny how that's still not done...) and not wanting to go home to my responsibilities. Surprisingly, I watched her for about ten minutes and then made the conscious choice to leave.

For the past two years there has been one main person I would go to to talk about these struggles. Lately I have been purposely not going to her when my mental health is not great. On occasions we do talk about it, I try not to go in any depth. There are various reasons for this, but overall I think it is a good thing...hence why I am doing it. Except for when I'm suicidal. Then it might not be a good thing. I know I wouldn't go to her.... which is kind of scary, really. She has literally saved my life countless times. As someone who is striving to get better, knowing I don't have a “safe guard” if things get extremely bad again is terrifying. Who knows what could happen. Well I guess I do know what could happen, I could be dead. Rational, goal oriented Amanda doesn't want to be dead, but I know anxious, confused Amanda would have no problem with it. Ideally I will never be in that dark of a place again. Unfortunately these past couple week have taught me that that is still entirely possible.

ANYWAY...enough of that. 

I would like to say that at this very moment I am doing okay. I ended the night on a fairly positive note which is always good. I'm stressing a bit about group therapy tomorrow and a counselling appointment I have the day after tomorrow. Among many other things, of course. I also have lots to do and little time to do it before I leave to go to Ottawa. Thankfully though, I am coping okay at the moment. Not amazingly, but okay.

I'm good with okay.




No comments:

Post a Comment